Global ApplicationBar

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Is there a way to create a global application bar in app.xaml? The traditional way is to put <shell:ApplicationBar>, in <Application.Resources> but it looks like BindableApplicationBar is a Control and not an AppliationBar so this is not current possible, unless I'm missing something.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM
BindableApplicationBar is not actually even a traditional control - it simply relays binding information to the standard ApplicationBar control. The way I would do a global appbar is I would have a master page with the appbar and then if you need any other pages - see if you can host a PhoneApplicationFrame in your master page and then use that slave frame to perform any navigation to child pages. If that doesn't work - implement your own frame and page controls. It's fairly easy actually - you just need a UserControl or a ContentControl for the frame and a UserControl as a page and set the Content property in your frame to a page object you navigate to, keeping a back stack and handling the back button.
Jul 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Thanks, that seems like a lot more work than simply including the appbar on each page. For now I think I'll just cut and paste as the menu is fairly simple. The only downside is that the appbar re-animates on every new page.